Saturday, February 22, 2014

Little Angels at the Pedia Ward

Little Angels are cute, delicate and fun. They melt my heart in many ways. Whenever I see them, I always feel careful, mindful and super watchful for I can't afford to bear if something might get hurt or if they are suffering from too much pain. That is how I am so cautious of. But these little angels are not mindful for they are innocent. They are in pain.

At first I felt like worried at the same time a bit afraid because of their tiny bodies that maybe I can't be able to grip them so tight and I might get wrong. It takes a lot of courage to handle them. I do love to handle children, but as pf their ages in months or so, I was feeling tinier  could I ever imagine.

It is like 24/7 monitoring on them. I am like a security guard who will watch for them with eyes wide open and that no mishaps should happened. Checking on the level of their Intravenous Solution takes all efforts for close monitoring. I feel like a statue with life. I felt like a high-powered CCTV. And that must have always be the way I have to do it.

No one is entitled to commit mistakes all the time because children's will be at risk if anything, even a single wrong will happen. How cute they were, that is how cutely vigilant you should be.

The Intravenous Solution attached to them is somewhat like a simple thing because it is like hanging on the post just to be hanged. But it is not. It is the most important administration that the Doctor prescribed for them in order to regain their health. It supplies the loss fluids in their body or it puts their body into a normal state again.

When it comes to dealing with my patient who is a year old, he seems hysterical at first because he is afraid of the "whites" (student nurses and nurses who wears white nursing uniform), but I manage to befriend my patient in a way that I cuddle him and talk to him in a soft, mellow voice. I don't want to give a traumatic experience to the child by resorting to false talks that kids mostly are afraid of. I talk to the little angel as if I am part of his family. I carry him in my arms and cuddle him.

I am touched every time I encounter children helpless and sick. My way of caring for my patient, the Little Angel, always has something to do with empathy. I have realized that I can be a nurse for the little children in the future as well.

I have performed tepid sponge bath to him on the afternoon as his fever rises. Indeed, toys play a huge part to capture his attention.

I have realized that varying attacks of situations is very essential. Be in a monotone will not leave good marks of care. As of my Little Angel, I was able to feel that how much you show, how much you give attention and have that extraordinary empathy sets in your stem, it will lead him to good efficacy.

My little angel smiles at me. It is not about the IV and the charts all the time. It is about the Little Angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment