Sunday, April 27, 2014

I like, I love, I had fun at the D.R. with my friends all around.

Having a duty at the hospital always interests me. I am always looking forward for it everyday.

The moment our on-call duty reservation at the Delivery Room was approved, I was very, very excited. In fact, I can't wait to serve the patients and help the attending physicians, midwives and nurses.

Two days prior to our duty, I have prepared all the things that I will be needing on that day. I washed my scrub suit and school uniform, brushed the blue and red slippers, prepared the BP up, stethoscope, thermometer, clean and sterile gloves, etc. And the day comes, just this morning, I woke up early at 3, took a bath, ate my breakfast and all is ready, I reached the hospital at 5:20 a.m.

With my closed friends who were also there, we all together went to the DR and get ready for the duty. Ma'am Cleofe O. de los Santos, RM, RN, MN is with us.


Upon entering the room, I was reminded of everything that was happening before when I had my very first DR experience of the last's second semester DR duty exposure. I remembered the placements of the important things that are needed for the procedure which I am going to use as I will be doing the assist, handle and/ or the cord care. Luckily, my mind is not rusty. I was not able to forget them.

My patient is in extreme pain because of intermittent contractions. I rubbed her back and gave her the best comfort that I could possibly give. I can't tolerate seeing her in pain and her face is in total destruction - extreme facial grimace. I feel her. I pitied her much. But the pain is normally occurring because few minutes by then, she was able to give labor to her second child. At least, that was indeed a relief!

Her baby is so cute and adorable. I talked to her as I gave my health teachings. I explained to the mother that she needs to do what I say because that is for the welfare of her baby in order for her baby to grow healthy and well. And so, I was touched when she says, "Salamat! (Thank you)". I smiled to her and I chose not to be away from her side because I would like to give her my comfort until she will be fine and all the procedures are done because she had episiotomy and that it needs an episiorrhaphy.

Comforting my patients is like helping also my friends while we are all in this together at the D.R. Happily, I was able to lead the group and taught them the best things that they need to learn and do. I understand that it was their first or second time doing the things inside the D.R. and so, I guided them on what to do.


Being as one team needs each other's hands to care especially that we are dealing with lives. One's mess is not a reason to be excused and pay with mere "sorry" for because life is not supposed to be neglected and just to say "sorry" is not payable if one might get wrong in doing the procedure. That is why, helping each other is very important. It is not about who is the best or who is more expert in doing this or that. It is not also about who will get much appreciation by the in-charge or by the class instructor-on-duty. It is not about competing. It is more about helping and be able to share what knowledge and learning one has in the field.

I am so happy that we all help each other. I learned from my friends and they too learned from me. There is a give and take process that is happening. And of course, it is worth the help.

We share what we have learned and that what defines this day a liking, loving, a fun-day for me at the DR and of course, the main fact that my closed friends are here with me and actually, this is our first ever DR duty exposure together, it adds to the fun out from what we are doing. And just like everytime after the duty, we took our late lunch at one of the restaurant at the mall.

Blessed to have this day and hope to have more duty exposures everyday. I just love the duty! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment