Saturday, April 19, 2014

Not just during Holy Week

Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Black Saturday and Easter Sunday, these days are memorable for us Roman Catholics, but what do these days imply for me?

During Holy Week, Roman Catholics commemorates the days of Jesus' journey, the story of His life from the moment He came to Earth to spread the word of God and be one of us until He was crucified in order to save us from our sins. His sacrifice is true and unconditional for He lets himself suffer to save us. That indeed, for me, is a huge sacrifice, a great love for mankind. His love is unconditional.

During these days also, we ask for penance, confessing our sins that we have done to someone whom we have hurt and to ask for forgiveness as well. On the other hand, fasting and abstinence (from eating meat) are also observed in days such as these.

How do I pray?

Praying to God is my way of communicating to Him, of talking to Him what is inside my heart, telling Him all my worries and fears, asking Him for guidance, for me to pursue life with optimism. I always pray to thank Him for everything. I pray to ask for forgiveness. I cry at Him when I feel that I can't anymore carry the weigh of my shoulder. That, I do in silence.

I pray to God in a tranquil atmosphere. I want to communicate to Him in a silent place where it is just me and Him. I pray to Him before I wake up in the morning, before I go to sleep at night, anytime of the day, everyday. I pray not bragging to the people that I pray. I don't want to publicly announce that I pray, telling them that I really do. In silence, I seek Jesus in my heart.

Holy Week is not just a memorable days to remember Christ and to head up being good, kind, ever-forgiving and acting straight. Holy Week for me is not about "trying-hard" to show to people that you really march with them while praying and doing the Station of the Cross. Holy Week is not a reminder that it is good to do evil for the rest of the days because Holy Week will give us time for refreshments from our sins. Holy Week is not a mind-set of taking advantage of this significant event of Jesus' life, that people will resort to show-off. It is not a time to be forgotten in a way that everyone will not care.

For me, everyday is a Holy Week. Roman Catholics could always seek Jesus and pray to Him, asking for blessings, guidance and forgiveness and we all can do that not just during Holy Week.

It is not about abusing the goodness of Christ, but rather in humility and sincerity we find light and that we can best attain in silence.

Just like praying in silence to God, Holy Week is about being with God in silence. God knows what is in our hearts not just in Holy Week. He will always be there for us, not just during Holy Week and that it shouldn't be that we are there for Him only during Holy Week.

In silence, we can find Christ and I trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment